Community Wellness Fair 2018
Wednesday, January 16 from 3-7 in our High School Cafeteria
All are welcome!
Click HERE for more details
What is a School Wellness Committee?
A school wellness committee is essentially an advisory group concerned with the health and wellbeing of staff and students. The FCS Wellness Committee has been created to enhance the acceptance and success of the wellness program activities by encouraging faculty and student ownership of the program.
Our Mission Statement:
"It is the mission of the Forestville Central School District Wellness Committee to promote, establish and maintain an environment that encourages lifelong commitments to physical, mental and social wellbeing through our community"
Why Focus on Health?
Did you know…?
• More than 1 in 3 youth are obese or overweight
• 17 percent (12.5 million) of the nation's children and adolescents are obese, according to the most recent data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Since 1980, obesity prevalence among this age group has almost tripled
• 79 percent of children ages 7 to 12 have a diet that needs improvement
• If trends continue, many experts believe that today’s kids may be the first generation in American history to live shorter lives than their parents
• Collectively, over 20 percent of the United States population can be found in the school community
• Because of the size and accessibility of the school community, school health programs are one of the most efficient ways to encourage healthy habits
Benefits of a Healthier School:
• Studies show that students with better nutrition have better attention spans, better class participation and higher test scores
• In some cases, improved nutrition seems to reduce behavioral problems
• Higher levels of physical activity seem to be related to higher self-esteem and lower levels of anxiety and stress—all of which are associated with better academic performance
• Poor nutrition and lack of physical activity are linked with health problems and increased school absences